Wilson Hall, constructed in 1994, is named for Haywood Lester Wilson, a 1958 graduate of Winston-Salem State University. A gifted educator, Wilson received an "Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award" and became an assistant principal in the Forsyth County school system in 1961. In 1968, he received a Master of Science degree in educational administration from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. In 1969, he was asked by then WSSU president Kenneth R. Williams to return to his alma mater and assume the position of director of Student Affairs. He earned a Ph.D. in education from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale in 1975 and then returned to Winston-Salem State University as vice chancellor for Student Affairs. Following the departure of Chancellor H. Douglas Covington in 1984, Wilson served as acting chancellor of the university. In 1985, after the appointment of Cleon F. Thompson as chancellor, he returned to his position as vice chancellor and held this position until 1992.
Wilson Hall has four floors with a mix of room configurations. The building is set up in apartment/suite style where students share an apartment with three other residents. The building is co-ed by apartment.
- Number of floors: 4
- Number of rooms: 216
- Capacity: 400
- Elevator: Yes
- Air Conditioning: Yes
- Study Rooms: Yes
- Exercise Room: No
- Kitchen Access: In apartments only and community kitchen on 4th floor
- Laundry Facilities: Yes
- North: MLK Drive and Rams Commons
- South: Parkview Street
- West: Vargrave Drive
- East: Gleason Hairston Terrace