Each year WSSU students elect members of the Student Government Association (SGA).
SGA Members Are:
- Primary representatives for the student body at large
- Advocates to the university’s administration, faculty, and other students
- Liaisons to alumni and to the general public
SGA Members Are Charged With:
- Gathering and expressing student opinions
- Representing student views
- Addressing student concerns
- Keeping students informed about information that impacts their undergraduate experience
- Governing Student Senate
- Equitably distributing student grant funds
- Working with other student groups to program college-wide events designed to foster cohesiveness within the entire university community
SGA Advisor: Heather Davis, Director of University Student Activities and Engagement at email@example.com.
SGA Purpose, Mission & Vision
The purpose of this organization shall be:
- Promote the general welfare of the university by improving ideas and standards in keeping with the times in which we live.
- Protect the general welfare of the student body by developing unity among students for the benefit of the university.
- Act in all cases as the governing representative of the student body.
- Promote student participation in all recognized university activities.
- Protect the rights, interests (academic and financial) and overall university experience for the student body.
It is the mission of the Student Government Association to establish a sound governing body of elected individuals to serve the best interests of the collective student body. By taking an oath to efficiently and effectively serve and represent students, we will do this through maintaining strong relationships with the university administration, faculty/staff and the surrounding community while also re-establishing rapport with the students.
With the assistance of an advisor, to ensure compliance with university protocol, the Student Government Association seeks to be transparent, vigilant and communicative with the student body and university administration so that the needs of the students will be met and a positive image of the institution will remain intact. SGA seeks to promote a quality learning environment where students will be challenged daily in and outside of the classroom. SGA seeks to always provide an opportunity, where possible, for students to openly communicate their experiences through the right avenues.
SGA Royal Court
The Royal Court seeks to uphold the vision of Winston-Salem State University as ambassadors for the institution by uplifting and empowering the campus and surrounding communities through service, outreach and programming.
Every year during Homecoming Week there is a night of pageantry when the new Miss and Mister WSSU are crowned. Campus royalty and their royal court serve as ambassadors for SGA and for the university as a whole.
Royal Court Advisor: Orlando Mitchell - firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Student Senate is the central legislative branch in representation of our student body.
- We are the principal advocate for the interests of the student body as a whole to the WSSU administration and faculty.
- We ensure effective and strategic student participation in the faculty governance system. The Senate is a central forum for common dialogue within the student community, and for the development of legislation to actualize goals of the student body.
To establish a two-way communication system between the students of WSSU and its governing powers. This communication includes, but is not limited to, the public review of senate business such as legislature and meeting minutes, open senate meetings, and student surveys, at the chairperson's discretion. The true vision of the student senate is to become an effective governing body which holds the well-being of Winston-Salem State University's students at its core functionality.