Yes. Due to Covid protocols only invited spectators with a ticket will be allowed admissions for in-person commencement.
Tickets are required to attend the 2021 Commencement. Only students that RSVP will be allocated tickets.
The commencement ceremony is a formal ceremony that is held in recognition of all current graduates. This ceremony includes a graduate and faculty processional, a commencement address, a charge to the graduates, and special presentations.
Due to the expected traffic congestion for graduates and guests, please plan to arrive at the university early and consider carpooling.
Students participating in the Commencement processional should begin arriving two hours prior to their
ceremony. Since traffic will be heavy, please leave enough time to park and consider carpooling . The ceremony will begin promptly at the stated ceremony time. No one will be allowed to join the graduates once they are seated.
- Guest are requested to park at Bowman Gray. Continuous looping shuttle service will be provided from Bowman Gray to the Intramural Field.
- Access to seating in the Intramural Field will open one hour prior to the start of the designated ceremony.
Winston-Salem State University strives to meet the needs of those with disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act. ADA standards are in place and available to guests within the venue:
- Portable toilets
- Curb cuts for wheelchair access
- Portable ramps for stages
A limited number of wheelchairs will be available for check-out, free with valid identification. There will be an interpreter for the deaf and hard of hearing positioned on the stage. The viewing screens will broadcast the interpreters for all guests. The venue permits guide dogs for the visually impaired.
An official photographer will be on site. GradImages will be taking photographs of all graduates at the Commencement Ceremony. They will be located as you exit the stage. You may pre-register your information prior to the ceremony at their website, GradImages, or you may order photographs after the ceremony either online or by call 800-261-2576. By registering early, photo samples will be provided to you as soon as they are available after the event and you can get a $5 off coupon on orders of $25 or more.
We will all be at Commencement to celebrate your family member's, loved one's, friend's, or colleague's success and we would like everyone to enjoy themselves. The Winston-Salem State University maintains certain regulations and procedures to promote and ensure a positive experience for all. Please note the below information regarding admission to the venue.
All guests are subject to security screenings conducted by contracted personnel in order to detect and remove prohibited items from the venue. Guests with prohibited items will be allowed to return these items to their vehicles. Any items left at any entrance to the WSSU Intramural Field will be discarded by facility personnel.
Allowed / Prohibited Items
All bags brought to the commencement venue must meet the description of a permissible bag.
Permissible bags are:
- Bags that are un-tinted and clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 x 6 x 12; or
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags (Ziploc or similar); or
- Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand (4.5” x 6.5”);
- Exceptions to bags may be granted for medically-necessary items, working personnel, and media.
All bags, including permissible bags, are subject to search by the university or event staff prior to entry. Any prohibited item will be immediately confiscated to ensure the safety and security of other guests, graduates, and staff.
In order to ensure the safety and security of other guests, graduates, and staff, the following items are strictly prohibited inside entrance to the venue and will be immediately confiscated:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Artificial noise makers
- Bags that do not meet permissible bag standards
- Coolers or containers
- Explosives, firearms, or weapons of any kind (weapons carried with a permit are prohibited)
- Helium balloons
- Illegal drugs
- Laser pointers
- Outside food or beverages
- Signs, banners, flags, or other items that could possibly obstruct the view of another guest, or could serve as a projectile or security risk
- Pets, with the exception of Service Animals as defined by federal law
- Anything deemed hazardous or unsafe by police or event staff