Recruiting Guidelines & Policies
It is always a pleasure to welcome an organization to the Winston-Salem State University campus for recruiting, whether through on-campus interviews or resume referrals.
Career Development Services works with a wide variety of recruiters, each year and our staff is trained to meet the needs of any organization, large or small. Our goal is to make recruiting both convenient and productive for every organization.
Scheduling On-Campus Interviews and Posting Opportunities
To schedule on-campus interviews or post your opportunities, please sign up on our online recruiting tool RAMTRAK to get started. For instructions on how to navigate RamTrak please read the Employers Guide. If you have questions please contact the office of Career Services at 336-750-3240.
On-Campus Interview Schedule
Fall Semester Recruiting: September - November
Spring Semester Recruiting: February - April
A company's job description is posted for a designated time period. During this time, interested applicants will submit their materials into RamTrak, our online system. After the resume deadline, the company will select candidates, (and any alternate) to interview. Note: Unless a closed schedule is requested, slots not filled by company selections (or alternates) will be made available to other students who meet the job specifications. (A closed schedule results when a company decides to fill an interview schedule with preselected students only (no alternates or additions accepted).
Upon request, students can provide companies with official copies of their transcripts. The Office of the Registrar maintains a three-business day turnaround for printing. Please let us know early in the process if you will need students to provide transcripts.
Spotlight presentations are information sessions sponsored by the employer to expand knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of a particular company or organization to perspective employees. Typically, these presentations are used to present information to candidates that have already applied and are scheduled to interview with you the second day. Hosting a Spotlight presentation is an ideal way for a company or organization to provide personal interaction with students before the actual interview.
Remember, students always like FREE food!!! If you would like to order food please visit CampusDish the Winston-Salem State University Catering Department.
For more information about Spotlight Presentation please contact:
- Winston-Salem State University is committed to administering all educational and employment activities without discrimination as to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, except where one of these classifications constitutes bona fide occupational qualifications or statutory requirements. This policy must also be adhered to by all persons, companies, and organizations recruiting at Winston-Salem State University.
- The Winston-Salem State University Office of Career Development Services subscribes to and makes every effort to comply with the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Professional Conduct. Every person, company and organization recruiting at Winston-Salem State University is expected to do likewise. Upon request, individuals, companies, and organizations may also receive copies of these principles.
- Alcohol Policy: The Office of Career Development Services adheres to the NACE policy which states that serving alcohol should not be a part of the recruitment process. Therefore, all recruiting activity, regardless of its location, should be alcohol-free. If a person, company, or organization chooses to provide or serve alcohol in violation of this policy, the person, company, or organization assumes complete liability and agrees to indemnify the Office of Career Development Services and Winston-Salem State University, including its trustees, officers, and employees, for any damage or injuries sustained to persons or property as a result of or arising out of a violation of this policy. In addition, the Office of Career Development Services reserves the right to revoke the recruiting privileges of any person, company, or organization who violates this policy.
- Individuals with Disabilities: If, due to a disability, you require a reasonable accommodation to utilize the services of the Office of Career Development Services, please contact the office to let us know how we may assist you.
- Third Party Recruiters: Winston-Salem State University endorses the NACE principles for third-party recruiters. In addition, the Office of Career Development Services requires that third party recruiters abide by the following:
- Third-party recruiters will disclose to students the name(s) of the client, or clients, that the third-party recruiter is representing and to whom the students' credentials will be disclosed.
- When deemed necessary, third-party recruiters will disclose information upon request to Career Development Services that would enable Career Development Services to verify that it is recruiting for a bona fide job opportunity. Information should include contact information for the organization for which the third party is providing recruiting services. Career Development Services must respect the confidentiality of this information and may not publish it in any manner.
- Third-party recruiters will not disclose to any employer, including the client-employer, any student information without obtaining prior written consent from the student. Under no circumstances can student information be disclosed for other than the original recruiting purposes nor can it be sold or provided to other entities. Online job posting and resume referral services must prominently display their privacy policies on their web sites, specifying who will have access to student information.
- Third-party recruiters attending career fairs will represent employers who have authorized them and will disclose to Career Development Services and students the names of the represented employers. Third Party Recruiters include agencies, organizations, or individuals recruiting for temporary, part-time, or full-time employment opportunities other than for their own needs.
The Winston-Salem State University Office of Career Development Services supports the following principles, as stated in "Exploding Offers: A Principles for Professional Conduct Committee Position Paper" published by NACE.
- If offers are extended early in the campus recruiting cycle, the Committee recommends that employers (1) provide students a minimum of three weeks to decide and not require decisions earlier than six months prior to the candidates graduation; and (2) provide students the opportunity to request deadline extensions to allow a reasonable period for investigation of other recruiting opportunities for comparison. However, we recognize that the definitions of "sufficient time" and "a reasonable period" will vary, given industry standards, a student's prior experience with the employer, offer timing, and proximity to graduation date/start time.
- Providing sufficient time for students to evaluate the employment opportunities offered to them allows them to make the wisest decisions for all concerned, creating a positive experience for candidates and employers, and ultimately reducing renege and attrition rates.
The Winston-Salem State University Office of Career Development Services has centralized recruiting activities – meaning that recruiting activities are coordinated through the Office of Career Development Services.
Recruiting activities shall be understood to mean any formal or informal inquiry, request, or visit by an agency, business, institution, organization, or any others whose primary purpose is to interest students/graduates in employment, or educational opportunity. Recruiting activities include, but are not limited to: interviews, resume/student referrals, career fairs, employer/graduate school marketing (i.e., information sessions, networking events, displays, etc.), and opportunities advertised on university bulletin boards/monitors.