Dean of Students
Building Community for Student Success
Welcome to the Ram Family and thank you for making Winston-Salem State University your institution of choice!
The Dean's office supports students' academic success by providing programs and services to help you stay in school, stay healthy, make ethical decisions, and prepare for your future. Our office of provides a caring environment for students and contributes to their success and their development as global citizens and future leaders. Our office staff is committed to helping students succeed. We assist the university community, our students and their respective families with any of the following:
- Campus resources and referrals to support a positive collegiate journey for our students and their families
- Support for students and their families who encounter extenuating or unexpected life circumstances
- Connecting with campus resources if experiencing distress, difficulties, adjustments, or coping with changes
- Educate students on ethical decision-making and taking personal responsibility
- Support faculty and staff with educational programs addressing students in distress or of concern
- Dean's certifications
Students of Concern
Students on many university and college campuses across the country face stressors in their college tenure. Often times faculty, staff, and fellow students are the first to notice when someone is experiencing struggles or distress. At WSSU, we value our community and thus offer a variety of services to help students who are experiencing distress, or who are struggling with the demands of their new environment. In order to support our students in their transition or coping with life's stressors it is important to refer those to campus resources that can help them be successful in our community of scholars. Some of these resources include:
- Office of the Dean of Students
- Office of Interpersonal Violence Prevention
- Wellness Center
- University Counseling Center
- Student Health Services
If you would like to make a report of concerning behavior that is troubling, disruptive, or threatening, please use the behavioral referral form to refer the information to the Ram ASSIST team. Other ways of reporting concerning behavior include contacting the team's 24 hour hotline at 336-750-3888; or contacting the Office of the Dean of Students at 336-750-3356 or the University Counseling Center at 336-750-3270. For additional information on the functions of the Ram ASSIST team, refer to the menu on the left for more detailed information that describes concerning behavior and risk levels.
Bias Incident Reporting
Winston-Salem State University encourages all Rams to report their experiences of bias-based treatment. If you choose not to do so, your privacy will be respected.
What is a Bias-based Incident?
Any act of discrimination or harassment based on:
- Gender Identity
- Sexual Orientation
What is the Purpose of Reporting Bias Incidents?
- To document bias-based incidents on campus in order to better understand the reality of discrimination in the IU community.
- To assist and help provide resolution to bias-based incidents for those who request a response.
If you have experienced bias-based discrimination, we are here to support you. Get the help you need. Submit an incident report today!