Proposal Development Resources
Proposal Writing Tips from Federal Agencies
National Endowment for Humanities (NEH)
The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) is an independent federal agency created in 1965. It is one of the largest funders of humanities programs in the United States.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
The National Institute of Health mission is to seek fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems and the application of that knowledge to enhance health, lengthen life, and reduce illness and disability. There are 28 Institutes of the NIH. National Institute of Health Webinars
National Science Foundation (NSF)
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is an independent federal agency created by Congress in 1950 "to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; to secure the national defense..." NSF is vital because we support basic research and people to create knowledge that transforms the future.
National Science Foundation Resources
National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
The National Endowment for the Arts is an independent federal agency that funds, promotes, and strengthens the creative capacity of our communities by providing all Americans with diverse opportunities for arts participation. They have funding opportunities for individuals and organizations.
Department of Education (ED)
The U.S. Department of Education’s mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access. They have a number of funding opportunities through their numerous programs.
Institute for Educational Sciences (IES)
The Institute of Education Sciences (IES) is the statistics, research, and evaluation arm of the U.S. Department of Education. They maintain four national centers:
- National Center for Education Research (NCER) supports rigorous research that addresses the nation's most pressing education needs, from early childhood to adult
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) is the primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to
- National Center for Education Evaluation (NCEE) conducts unbiased, large-scale evaluations of education programs supported by federal funds; provides technical assistance; and supports the development and use of research and evaluation throughout the United
- National Center for Special Education Research (NCSER) supports a comprehensive program of education research designed to expand knowledge and understanding of infants, toddlers, and children with disabilities and those at risk for
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
NASA's Vision is to discover and expand knowledge for the benefit of humanity.
US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) to enhance and protect the health and well-being of all Americans. We fulfill that mission by providing for effective health and human services and fostering advances in medicine, public health, and social services. It has nine agencies, including: National Institute of Health (NIH), Indian Health Service (IHS), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Service (CMS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Administration for Community Living (ACL), and Administration for Children & Families (ACF). Each of whom provide funding opportunities specific to their mission.
General Proposal Writing Tips
- The Art of Writing Proposals (Social Science Research Council)
- Proposal Writing Short Course (The Foundation Center)
- Grant Proposal Writing Tips (The Corporation for Public Broadcasting)
- Guidelines for Writing a Proposal (LearnerAssociates.net, with examples)
- Grant Resources: Deborah Kluge, freelance proposal writer and developer with 30 yrs. of experience