Neurologic Clinical Residency Program
The Winston-Salem State University Physical Therapy Neurologic Clinical Residency Program, in partnership with Novant Health, allows licensed physical therapists to elevate their clinical practice, advance their careers and become leaders in the physical therapy profession.
Throughout the 12-month program, residents work in neurologic care alongside mentors at Novant facilities across the region. Residents also take courses and provide guest lectures to students in WSSU’s Department of Physical Therapy.
In alignment with WSSU’s Strategic Plan, residents also identify a health equity solution to improve the care of patients who visit one of the program’s free community clinics.
The program has achieved candidacy status in 2018 and is anticipating full accreditation in 2020 by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education.
WSSU is the first historically black college and university (HBCU) in the nation to offer a physical therapy residency program.
- 32 hour/week clinical care and pay rate, fully benefited, with 8 hours/week of residency-related activities
- Rotations through in-patient acute neuro, out-patient neuro, and in-patient rehabilitation settings
- Health equity project in conjunction with the WSSU Center of Excellence for the Elimination of Health Disparities
- Access to MedBridge neurologic online curriculum
- Free housing within walking distance of Forsyth Medical Center in Winston-Salem
- A growing, motivated team of mentors, including 7 with NCS designation (5 at Novant and 2 at WSSU)
Residents will complete selected MedBridge neurologic online courses along with 3 online courses taught by WSSU faculty, including:
- Module One: Advanced Clinical Applications in Neurology (3 credits)
- Module Two: Leadership & Professionalism in Neurology (3 credits)
- Module Three: Special Topics in Neurology (3 credits)
The WSSU-Novant Clinical Neurologic Residency Program is now accepting applications!
The application portal in RF-PTCAS will be open from February 1st - May 15th, 2020. For more information, please contact Dr. Sara Migliarese, Program Director, at 336-750-8968 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested applicants apply through RF-PTCAS and are required to submit a resume and complete a personal essay using the prompt listed in the online admission portal system. Additional items may be requested following initial screening of all applicants. Up to 5 applicants will be selected for in-person interviews at Novant Health – Forsyth Medical Center. One applicant will be selected following the onsite interview process.