Neurologic Clinical Residency Program
The Winston-Salem State University Physical Therapy Neurologic Clinical Residency Program, in partnership with Novant Health, allows licensed physical therapists to elevate their clinical practice, advance their careers and become leaders in the physical therapy profession.
Throughout the 12-month program, residents work in neurological care alongside mentors at Novant facilities across the region. Residents also take courses and provide guest lectures to students in WSSU’s Department of Physical Therapy.
In alignment with WSSU’s Strategic Plan, residents also identify a health equity solution to improve the care of patients who visit one of the program’s free community clinics.
The program achieved full accreditation status in 2020 for a period of 5 years by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education.
The Winston-Salem State University-Novant Health Clinical Neurologic Physical Therapy residency program is accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education as a post-professional residency program for physical therapists in neurologic rehabilitation.
Points of Pride
- WSSU is the first Historically Black College and University (HBCU) in the United States to offer a fully accredited Physical Therapy Residency Program
- As of 2020, the WSSU - Novant Physical Therapy Neurologic Clinical Residency Program is 1 of only 60 accredited Neurologic Residency Programs in the United States
- 12-month program from August to July, in Winston-Salem, NC
- 150 hours of 1-on-1 clinical mentoring
- 32 hours/week clinical care and pay rate with full benefits, and 8 hours/week of residency activities & education
- Rotations across the continuum of in-patient acute care neuro, in-patient rehabilitation, and out-patient neuro settings
- Health equity project in conjunction with either the WSSU Center of Excellence for the Elimination of Health Disparities or the Novant Health Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Opportunites for teaching and research
- Access to MedBridge neurologic online curriculum
- Free housing within walking distance of Forsyth Medical Center in Winston-Salem
- A growing, motivated team of mentors, including 9 with NCS designation (7 at Novant and 2 at WSSU)
Winston-Salem State University offers affordable tuition for three 3-credit courses throughout the program's 12-month curriculum:
In-State: $620.65 per semester (3 semesters = $1,861.95)
Out-of-State: $2,250 per semester (3 semesters = $6,750)
Due to unforeseen challenges secondary to the Covid-19 pandemic, the admission cycle for the WSSU-Novant Health Clinical Neurologic Residency program is on hold through the remainder of 2020. We will aim to resume the admission process in January, 2021, but do not have an exact date at this time. If you have applied to our program in 2020 and would like us to keep your application active, please email Sara Migliarese at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope this update allows any interested candidate to continue employment and education plans that best meet their timelines. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Residents will complete selected MedBridge neurologic online courses along with 3 online courses taught by WSSU faculty, including:
- Fall: DPT 7315-WC, Advanced Clinical Applications in Neurology (3 credits)
- Spring: DPT 7318-WC, Leadership & Professionalism in Neurology (3 credits)
- Summer: DPT 7310-WC, Special Topics in Neurology (3 credits)