Skip to main content

Driver's Licenses - NCDL

  • According to the NC laws, temporary residents are authorized to use their home country driver's license.
  • International students are considered temporary residents, so you should use your home country driver's license.
  • Please make sure to have available a translation of this document into English.
  • If you have an International Driver's License, it serves as a translation, and therefore should be kept with your home country driver's license.

Driver’s Handbook

  • Even though you are allowed to use your own driver's license, we also recommend that you read the "Driver's Handbook" available at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.
  • This manual will provide you with vital information about the driving rules which will help you be a responsible and safe driver in North Carolina.

Applying for a North Carolina Driver’s License

  • If you do not have an "out of state" (i.e. another U.S. state) or foreign driver's license and you need to apply for a North Carolina driver's license, you may be eligible for a North Carolina driver's license.
  • For proof of legal presence in the U.S., you will need to provide the following valid, official documents:
    • I-20 or DS-2019
    • Passport
    • I-94 and visa (can be expired – Canadians exempt)
    • Proof of residency (e.g. a utility bill or apartment lease)
    • Proof of car insurance.
    • Please visit NC DMV for more information.

Please Note

  • You don’t need a social security number (SSN) to get a driver's license.
  • You must already be registered in SEVIS by the DSO before the DMV will process an application for you.
  • Please check with your DSO in the Office of International Programs before going to the DMV office.

Buying a Car

  • You do not need a social security number (SSN) or a NC driver's license to purchase a car.
  • You will also be able to transfer a car title at the DMV using your home country driver's license and passport.
  • If buying a car, you will be required to purchase car insurance.
  • You may locate insurance companies which do not require a SSN (GEICO is one of them).
  • You will need to submit your home country driver's license and a driving record report issued by your home country DMV (both translated into English).

The closest Motor Vehicle Department office to campus is located at:

2001 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC 27103

The closest License Plate Agency (for car registration, license plates, and title transfers) is located at:

1141 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC ‎
1-336-725-2795 ‎