Driver's Licenses - NCDL
- According to the NC laws, temporary residents are authorized to use their home country driver's license.
- International students are considered temporary residents, so you should use your home country driver's license.
- Please make sure to have available a translation of this document into English.
- If you have an International Driver's License, it serves as a translation, and therefore should be kept with your home country driver's license.
- Even though you are allowed to use your own driver's license, we also recommend that you read the "Driver's Handbook" available at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.
- This manual will provide you with vital information about the driving rules which will help you be a responsible and safe driver in North Carolina.
Applying for a North Carolina Driver’s License
- If you do not have an "out of state" (i.e. another U.S. state) or foreign driver's license and you need to apply for a North Carolina driver's license, you may be eligible for a North Carolina driver's license.
- For proof of legal presence in the U.S., you will need to provide the following valid, official documents:
- I-20 or DS-2019
- I-94 and visa (can be expired – Canadians exempt)
- Proof of residency (e.g. a utility bill or apartment lease)
- Proof of car insurance.
- Please visit NC DMV for more information.
- You don’t need a social security number (SSN) to get a driver's license.
- You must already be registered in SEVIS by the DSO before the DMV will process an application for you.
- Please check with your DSO in the Office of International Programs before going to the DMV office.
Buying a Car
- You do not need a social security number (SSN) or a NC driver's license to purchase a car.
- You will also be able to transfer a car title at the DMV using your home country driver's license and passport.
- If buying a car, you will be required to purchase car insurance.
- You may locate insurance companies which do not require a SSN (GEICO is one of them).
- You will need to submit your home country driver's license and a driving record report issued by your home country DMV (both translated into English).
The closest Motor Vehicle Department office to campus is located at:
2001 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
The closest License Plate Agency (for car registration, license plates, and title transfers) is located at:
1141 Silas Creek Parkway