Skip to main content

Obtaining a Social Security Card

The Social Security Administration (SSA) will only issue Social Security numbers (SSN) and cards to those students who need one for employment purposes.

You cannot qualify for a card as ID or in order to get a driver's license. You may only apply for a card if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • For on-campus work
  • For students with approved Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • For other special cases of off-campus work approved by the USCIS (EAD required)
  • If a student meets one of the conditions above, then s/he may apply for a Social Security number.

Visiting the Winston-Salem Social Security Administration Office

If you would like to obtain a social security card, please bring the following documents to the Social Security Administration office:

  • Application for a Social Security Card which can be found on the US Social Security web site.
  • A copy of your current I-20 or DS-2019
  • Your passport and a copy of the information and visa pages
  • A letter of offer from the office or company that will be employing you that includes the location of employment and the dates you will be working.
  • A letter from the DSO in the Office of International Programs stating you are a student in good standing and eligible for employment
  • An EAD card (if applicable)

Tips for You

  • Give yourself ample time to complete the process. The Social Security Office is often very crowded.
  • Call the Social Security Office ahead of time to see if there are any other items that you need to bring. Their number is 336-722-8411.
  • Ask an OIP staff member about the best bus routes to use to reach the office.

Winston-Salem Social Security Office
1370 Lockland Ave
Winston-Salem, NC 27103

Please ask an OIP staff member for information about the best bus routes to reach the office.

The Social Security Office is often very crowded, so give yourself adequate time to complete the process.