Skip to main content


Active Duty and/or Veteran Military Personnel

We want our active duty and veteran students to understand that the Office of the Registrar provides several options in recognition of their service to our country.

We Offer:

Called to Active Duty During the Semester

Students, who are in good standing when called to active duty during the semester...

  • will be granted a leave of absence, after notifying the Office of the Registrar of his or her deployment via WSSU e-mail, in person, or in writing. "Additionally, we require a copy of the student's orders be provided for our records, unless giving such notice is precluded by military necessity, such as mission, operation, exercise, or requirement that is classified or a pending or ongoing mission, operation, exercise, or requirement that may be compromised or otherwise adversely affected by public knowledge." (HEA Sec 484C(c)(1) (A)(B)(C)). This leave of absence status would end three (3) years after the completion of the period of service. Students, who were on academic probation or suspension and/or were away longer than three calendar years following completion of service, are subject to the normal readmission requirements.
  • will be credited 100% of all tuition and fees during the call to service. [Note: Any financial aid refunds received will need to be returned]
  • will not be required to submit a re-enrolling application and associated fee upon return from active duty. Students simply notify the Office of the Registrar of their intent to return, no later than three (3) years after the completion of active duty. For students hospitalized or convalescing from an illness or injury during the active duty time period, would need to notify the Office of the Registrar of their intent to return no later than two (2) years after the completion of active duty. 

College Elective Credit

  • Winston-Salem State University students that have military experience may earn college elective transfer credit by providing us with a Joint Services Transcript. WSSU reviews the transcript, recommendations and awards credit for programs and experiences under lower baccalaureate and higher baccalaureate areas
  • With the verification of Basic or Recruit Training, WSSU will waive the student’s physical education requirement of HED 1200 and PED 1200. Alternately the student may choose to provide us with the DD-214 Discharge Document, and if in good standing at the time of separation, we will waive the physical education requirement
  • For more information about military transfer credit, see our Transfer Credits Equivalents page ( To determine what credit is available for your military training and military occupation specialty (MOS), select Military-Americas for the state. From there, choose Military Credit (MC). If you don’t see your training or MOS, it simply means it has not been evaluated yet
  • Army, Coast Guard, Navy and Marine military transcripts can be requested through Joint Services Transcripts (JST).
  • Air Force transcripts can be requested by contacting the Community College of the Air Force Registrar's Office at 334-649-5080

 In-State Residency

Active duty personnel and their families can apply for in-state residency based on their current level of service.