Skip to main content

Professional Licensure Disclosure Statements

In accordance with 34 CFR § 668.43(a)(5)(v), Winston-Salem State University provides the following information for programs which may lead to professional licensure or certification.

General Disclosure of Programs by State - WSSU (pdf)

Department of Clinical Laboratory Science

The National Accrediting Agency of Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) accredits the Clinical Laboratory Science program. The American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) and the American Medical Technologists (AMT) offer clinical laboratory science certification examinations recognized in all fifty US states. There are currently 11 states with laboratory personnel licensure (California, Hawaii, Florida, New York, North Dakota, Tennessee, Louisiana, Nevada, West Virginia, Montana, Georgia). Puerto Rico also has licensure. The components of the law vary state-to-state and CLS graduates planning to locate in a state with licensure, should contact that state for specific information for the state’s laboratory practice act. The CLS program meets educational requirements for all states except California and New York.

Department of Occupational Therapy

The Occupational Therapy program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE®). ACOTE® accredited Occupational Therapy programs satisfy the states’ educational requirements in all states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico. Students graduating from an ACOTE® accredited Occupational Therapy educational program are eligible to take the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) certification exam and apply for licensure in all states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico. For more information regarding state qualifications and licensure requirements, please refer to the AOTA State Licensure web page.

Department of Physical Therapy

The Department of Physical Therapy in the School of Health Sciences offers the Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree plan which is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). Winston-Salem State University DPT graduates meet all education requirements for licensure through the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) in all states and territories.

Department of Rehabilitation Counseling

The Rehabilitation Counseling program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Program (CACREP) and meets educational requirements for all states except the following: California, Florida, New York, and Ohio. 

Division of Nursing

The Division of Nursing satisfies the professional licensure and/or certification requirements in North Carolina and prepares students to sit for these examinations. However, requirements in other states may be different. If you are considering a nursing degree that leads to licensure and/or certification, please note that WSSU may or may not be able to advise whether a program meets requirements outside of North Carolina or in states outside the compact designation.

NOTE: The information below is based on standard licensure/certification requirements. Additional licensure endorsement may apply.

Department of Therapeutic Recreation

Current graduates meet educational requirements to apply for certification by the National Council for Therapeutic Certification and licensure by the state of North Carolina. Students should consult with the licensing boards of NJ, OK, NH, and UT regarding specific requirements for those states. The WSSU Therapeutic Recreation Program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Park, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT).

These disclosures do not provide any guarantee that any particular state licensure or certification entity will approve or deny an application. Additionally, these disclosures do not account for changes in state law or regulation that may affect an application for licensure that occurs after these disclosures have been made. Students should check the Professional Licensure material before registering for classes each session for the most up-to-date information.

Winston-Salem State University is a member of the National Council State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC- SARA) which allows the university to provide distance learning programs (both online and learning placements) and coursework to students located in states other than North Carolina. Membership does not grant reciprocity or exemption from state professional licensing requirements. Licensing requirements in North Carolina may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in other states.

WSSU shall not be held liable if a student is unable to qualify for licensure or certification in any jurisdiction.

Department of Social Work

Winston-Salem State University’s Bachelors of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and meets the educational requirements for all states except the following: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and Washington.  For more specific information related to state requirements for social work practice certification/licensure at the bachelor's level visit the Association for Social Work Boards (ASWB) web site.

Teaching Licensure

The Educator Preparation programs of CASBE are recognized by the NC Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) and are therefore represented in the NC interstate agreement with the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). The agreement facilitates the mobility of educators among the states and other jurisdictions that are members of NASDTEC and have signed the Agreement. An individual who completes an approved Educator Preparation program at WSSU is eligible to earn a certificate or license in another state or jurisdiction including all 50 states, District of Columbia, Guam, Ontario and the Department of Defense. While each state/entity may affirm the credentials earned by a WSSU program completer in Educator Preparation, the educator may have to complete additional requirements, such as coursework, assessments, or classroom experience, before receiving a full professional certificate in the new state. Visit the U.S. Department of Education's State Contact web page for the contact information of the appropriate education entity in each state.

This recognition applies to our undergraduate and graduate teacher licensure programs in Birth through Kindergarten, Elementary Education, Special Education, Middle Grades Education, Music Education, Secondary English Education, Secondary Math Education, and Health and Physical Education.