On behalf of the Winston-Salem State University Staff Senate Executive Board and the WSSU family, we welcome you to Ram Country! We encourage you to take an active role in the organization.
The mission of the organization is to provide an opportunity for all staff members at Winston-Salem State University to have an interactive role in defining and maintaining a workplace that encourages input from all staff in creating a harmonious environment in which to work, while collaboratively supporting the university's quest to provide a "premiere education" for its students.
The Staff Senate seeks to enhance the visibility of the organization and make it a vital and recognized organization for its SPA and EPA non-faculty members. With this purpose, we seek to:
- Stimulate a positive and supportive esprit de corps among staff;
- Establish a forum whereby staff can engage in interactive dialogue with the Chancellor and/or chief administrators of the university to exchange ideas, express views and make inquiries and/or suggestions for the improvement of working relations and environment at Winston-Salem State University;
- Keep staff abreast of issues that impact their respective jobs and workplace;
- Develop a network of diverse and talented employees organized to establish and support activities that foster professional growth and development as well as recognize the interests, contributions and potential of all staff employees; and
- Assist in the development and implementation of a variety of perpetual on-the-job training opportunities designed to enhance the skills and techniques of staff dedicated to directly influencing the long-term health and vibrancy of our community. We hope that your workplace experience will be the most vitalizing and constructive time of your life. Please let us know if you need our assistance at any time to make WSSU more rewarding.
Employee of the Month
Jeff McGill consistently goes beyond and above his professional duties within the library. He has always been willing to avail himself to other departments. On a regular basis, Jeff can be seen throughout the library assisting at the Welcome desk, exit desk, information commons, or media production as well as maintaining his primary responsibility in Archives. He is extremely professional, always adhering to protocol for the university, especially the library. He is passion and driven to help others. He is dedicated and confident, willing to take on new challenges to help in his own professional growth. Jeff is a positive person, despite his own health trials he is able to encourage other, his upbeat personality and warm smile makes a difference. Often times Jeff works beyond the walls of O’Kelly library, he volunteers and participates in activities sponsored and supported by other departments on campus. He stays late and comes in early to get the job done correctly. Jeff is extremely character driven, trustworthy, and reliable. Being a proactive employee is one of many strengths that he possesses, he takes the initiative and finds innovative ways to be productive to benefit the entire university. His diligence is also impressive, he applies continuous determination and is persistent in what he does without complaint; Jeff does not give up at the first sign of difficulty. Last but not least, his commitment to helping all students is extremely admirable, he is attentive, while empathizing and understanding their needs as well as their frustrations.